Warm Garden Wraps with Corn and Sweet Potatoes
These colorful wraps are full of healthy vitamins, fiber, and lean protein and are sweet enough for the kids to enjoy. Scramble recipe tester Debbie Firestone and her family declared this recipe “a real winner!”
- 2 Tbsp. butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato finely diced about 2 cups total (no need to peel)
- 1 sweet yellow onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla finely diced about 1 cup total
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely diced (about 1total)
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed, if using frozen
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety) or use water (optional)
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black or pinto beans partially drained
- 1/4 tsp. salt optional
- 8 spinach wraps or whole wheat tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), or use flour tortillas
- 1 cup salsa (look for brands with no sugar added), for serving (optional)
- 1 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or use any variety) for serving (optional)
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter or heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and onions and brown them, stirring occasionally, for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, corn, cumin, and chili powder and continue to cook it for about 5 minutes. If the mixture starts to dry out or stick to the pot, add the broth or water.
- Add the beans and salt (optional) and cook, stirring gently, until it is heated through. (At this point you can refrigerate the filling for up to 24 hours or serve it immediately.)
- To serve, put a scoop of the vegetable mixture onto the center of a wrap, and top it with salsa and/or sour cream, if desired. Fold one side of the wrap up about an inch to catch drips, and then roll it up burrito style.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Put the butter or oil, sweet potatoes, onions, bell peppers, corn, beans, 1/4 cup broth (or water), and the spices in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours, until the vegetables are tender. Use a slotted spoon to scoop onto the center of the wraps and serve as directed. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the potato, onion, and bell pepper, remove the corn from the cobs if using fresh or thaw if using frozen, prepare and refrigerate the filling. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use chipotle chili powder rather than traditional chili powder and serve it with medium or hot salsa on the side. Tip: If you’re using a cookbook (a Scramble cookbook, of course!) and want the book to remain open on its own, a large chip clip or binder clip comes in very handy to hold the pages in place. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 360, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18%; Cholesterol: 10mg, 3%; Sodium: 800mg, 33%; Total Carbohydrate: 31g, 20%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 28%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 11g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!