We Got the Beet Soup
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 lb. beets peeled and chopped (about 4 beets)
- 1 lb. white potatoes peeled and chopped (about 2 potatoes)
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. dried dill or 1 Tbsp. fresh
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 – 1 lemon juice only, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or sour cream or plain yogurt
- Heat a medium stockpot over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil, and when the oil is hot, add the onions. Sauté them for about 3 minutes until they are tender.
- Add the beets, potatoes, parsnips, dill, pepper and broth, cover and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, keeping it covered, and cook it for 25 minutes until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a standing blender until it is smooth. Return it to the pot, if necessary, and stir in the lemon juice. (At this point you can serve it immediately or refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.)
- Top the bowls of soup with the goat cheese (highly recommended!) or sour cream, and additional pepper, and garnish it with additional dill, if desired.
Calories 211, Total Fat 6g, 9%, Saturated Fat 2.5g, 13.5%, Cholesterol 6.5mg, 2%, Sodium 183.5mg, 7.5%, Carbohydrate 30.5g,10%, Dietary Fiber 5g, 20%, Sugar 8.5g, Protein 6.5g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!