All American Stir-Fry
This is my Western twist on a stir-fry with a honey-mustard flavor and classic American vegetables.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic minced, about 1/2 tsp.
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (for a vegetarian and gluten-free option use 6 drops hot sauce and 1/4 tsp. sugar per each Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium heat. When it is hot, add the chicken and cook it, stirring often, for about 3 minutes until the outsides are cooked.
- Add the garlic, broccoli, carrots and onions and continue to cook, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the mustard, honey, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar, and pour it over the chicken and vegetables (if you marinated the chicken in the sauce, be sure to bring the sauce to a boil for at least a minute).
- Add the scallions and continue to cook the mixture for 2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Serve it immediately, over rice if desired, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut up the chicken and vegetables, make the sauce. Scramble Flavor Booster: For extra flavor, marinate the chicken in the honey-mustard sauce for at least 10 minutes before cooking the chicken. Remove it from the sauce with a slotted spoon, reserving the sauce, and follow the directions above. Season the finished dish with salt and black pepper to taste. Tip: When washing broccoli, be sure to hold the heads upside down and let the water flow through the stalks to clean their undersides thoroughly, in addition to cleaning the top of the broccoli Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values):Calories 290, Total Fat: 5g, 8%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 80mg, 27%; Sodium: 510mg, 21%; Total Carbohydrate: 24g, 8%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 38g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!