Barbecue Chicken Pizza Pockets
These 4-ingredient pizza pockets, suggested by member Lara Jakubowski of Denver, Colorado, are a real treat and a fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. You could even make the pockets half the size and serve them as little cocktail snacks.
- 3/4 - 1 lb. cooked chicken breast sliced or shredded into thin pieces, see below for directions to pre-cook the chicken
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (store-bought or homemade) see tip below for The Scramble's homemade barbecue sauce recipe
- 1/2 yellow onion halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooked chicken, the barbecue sauce, and the onions.
- Stretch the dough out on a large baking sheet and cut it into 6 even pieces (cut in half lengthwise and then across into thirds).
- Put a large spoonful of the chicken filling in the center of each rectangle of dough, fold the dough in half diagonally to make a triangle, and pinch the edges of the dough shut or use a fork to seal the edges.
- Bake the triangles in the center of the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until they are golden brown (be careful because the bottoms cook more quickly than the tops, so be sure to check the undersides of the pockets.)
Note: To cook the chicken, cut it into thin strips, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet, and sauté the chicken, turning occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 6 minutes total.Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook (if necessary) and slice or shred the chicken (up to 2 days in advance), slice the onion. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add a dash of hot sauce or sliced pickled jalapenos to the chicken filling. Tip: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (for a vegetarian and gluten-free alternative, use 24 drops hot sauce and 1 tsp. sugar), 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 5 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (optional). Bring it to a low boil and simmer it for about 5 minutes, until it is thickened. Add 2 tsp. lemon juice and stir until it is heated through. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 273, Total Fat: 5g, 7%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 6%; Cholesterol: 48mg, 16%; Sodium: 682mg, 28.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 35g, 11.5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 3.5%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 23g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!