Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Pizza
Rather than ordering a pizza, try making one to order using a pre-baked pizza crust - they're quite good, especially if you use fresh and tasty toppings. If your kids don’t like these gourmet toppings, make theirs with shredded mozzarella cheese instead.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion halved top to bottom and thinly sliced
- 6 oz. portobello mushroom caps coarsely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce or red pasta sauce
- 2 whole wheat or white thin pre-baked pizza crusts (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 - 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese or use fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté them for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 more minutes until the mushrooms begin to get dark and tender.
- Meanwhile, spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on each pizza crust, nearly to the edges. Top each with basil and oregano, followed by the onions, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack for 10 minutes. Allow them to cool for about 2 minutes before slicing them with a pizza cutter.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice the onions, chop the mushrooms, caramelize the onions and the mushrooms, crumble the goat cheese or shred the mozzarella cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Top the pizzas with a little fresh basil or oregano just before baking them, brush the crusts with some crushed garlic in olive oil before spreading the sauce, and serve them with crushed red pepper flakes at the table. Tip: Caramelized onions are sweet and delicious with so many things - pizza, pasta, and as a topping for burgers or sandwiches. Sometimes I slice a few onions, caramelize the whole batch, and refrigerate or freeze them for future use. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 348, Total Fat: 11g, 15%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 21%; Cholesterol: 7mg, 3%; Sodium: 445mg, 24%; Total Carbohydrate: 29g, 17.3%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 13g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!