Caribbean Quinoa, Corn, and Mango Salad
This salad is so bright and colorful that it’s a great one to bring to a party. I named it after the Caribbean because of its sunny colors and its traditional Caribbean flavors of mango, corn, curry, and beans. Bonus points because it’s vegan and high in protein and fiber! Scramble recipe tester Amy Stanley said her family loved this recipe and she suggests doubling it because you’ll want to have leftovers.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, preferably tri-color or red, (just because it’s prettier)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime use zest and juice
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated (use a zester or a grater)
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. honey (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned, or fresh thawed if using frozen, from 1 ear of corn if using fresh, steamed in microwave for 2 minutes in its husk
- 1 mango diced about 1 1/2 cups, or use frozen
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 4 - 6 scallions thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 avocado diced
- Rinse and simmer the quinoa in 1 cup of water until it is just tender, about 15 minutes (don't overcook it).
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the oil, lime juice and zest, ginger, curry powder, honey (optional), and salt.
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the quinoa, corn, mango, beans, and scallions.
- Stir in the dressing, and gently fold in the avocado. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days (but wait to add the avocado until shortly before serving). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Rinse and cook the quinoa, zest and juice the lime, peel and grate the ginger, make and refrigerate the dressing, steam the corn if using fresh and remove it from the cobs or thaw it if using frozen, peel and dice the mango, slice the scallions, or fully prepare and refrigerate the salad. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper to the dressing, add 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced, and/or 1/8 – 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro or mint. Tip: After scraping corn kernels into a bowl for salad, use the back of the knife to scrape the sweet juice off the cob right into the salad, as well. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 396, Total Fat: 21g, 32%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 14.5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 303mg, 12.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 47g, 15.5%; Dietary Fiber: 11g, 43%; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 10g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!