Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms and Garlic
The Marsala wine and lemon combination gives this chicken dish a sweet and tangy flavor and fills the house with a wonderful scent.
- 3 Tbsp. flour (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 8 oz. sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced, about 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley chopped (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and toss it gently to coat it thoroughly.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp. oil and the butter and let the butter melt.
- Add the chicken and cook it on each side until it is browned and cooked partially through, 6 – 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same pan without cleaning it. Sauté the mushrooms and garlic for 1 minute, and then add the wine, broth, and lemon juice. Bring the liquid to a low boil, scraping any bits of chicken from the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, spooning the sauce over it, and cook it for 3 – 5 more minutes until the chicken is just cooked through. Season it with additional salt, if desired, and sprinkle the chicken with parsley before serving it (optional).
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Dredge and brown the chicken first if you wish by following directions above; however, you can skip the flour coating if you'd like. Place the chicken, mushrooms, garlic, wine, broth, lemon juice, and parsley (optional) in the slow cooker and give a quick stir to combine. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Serve as directed. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the flour, salt, and pepper, cut the chicken and refrigerate, slice the mushrooms if necessary, peel the garlic, juice the lemon, chop the parsley if using. Scramble Flavor Booster: Season the chicken with a lot of freshly ground black pepper before serving it. Tip: Because we don’t use Marsala wine too often in recipes, but it’s delicious when we do, you might want to borrow ½ cup from a neighbor (or share the rest of your bottle and the recipe with a friend or neighbor so they can learn about The Scramble, too!) or see if your supermarket sells very small bottles. An opened bottle stored in a cool, dark area such as your pantry can last up to a year. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 220, Total Fat: 7g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 70mg, 23%; Sodium: 300mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 5g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 28g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!