Chili Rubbed Salmon
This is a super easy and delicious way to prepare salmon, suggested by Scramble fan Lisa Newman. You can adapt the seasoning to your taste, making it spicier or more or less salty.
- 1 1/2 lbs. salmon fillet (use wild Alaskan salmon if possible),
- 1 tsp. chili powder or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay aluminum foil on a baking sheet for easy cleanup, and lay the salmon on the foil, skin side down.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle and rub the spices evenly over the salmon. Drizzle the oil in swirls over the salmon and spices.
- Bake the fish for 10 - 15 minutes, depending on the fish's thickness, until it is just cooked through and flakes easily in the thickest part.
- Optional: Put the fish under the broiler for the final 2 - 4 minutes of cooking for a crispier finish. Cut the fillet into four pieces to serve it.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Cut the salmon into pieces that will fit easily into your slow cooker. Combine the rub ingredients as directed, then place each piece of salmon on an individual piece of aluminum foil large enough to fold into a packet around the fish. Sprinkle and rub the spices evenly over the salmon. Drizzle the oil over the salmon and spices, then fold each piece of foil around the salmon, sealed tightly to create a packet. Stack the packets in the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 - 5 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the spices, rub them on the salmon and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the chili powder (make sure it’s salt-free, and if it’s not then eliminate the kosher salt from the recipe) and black pepper and add 1/4 tsp. of white pepper or cayenne pepper. Tip: Double this spice rub and use it next time you make chicken, fish, or even tofu. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 270, Total Fat: 14g, 22%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 95mg, 32%; Sodium: 200mg, 8%; Total Carbohydrate: 1g, 0%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 34g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!