Chinese Chicken Salad
At last, a Chinese chicken salad that will rival your favorite restaurant version! This recipe is adapted from Cook’s Country magazine, and is a meal in itself. Picky eaters can eat the chicken, chow mein noodles, and red pepper strips separately.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (sold with Asian foods)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated or minced
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 head romaine lettuce or bok choy, thinly sliced (6 - 8 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 3 scallions green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, or use 11 oz. mandarin oranges (optional)
- 6 oz. crispy chow mein noodles, or use broken ramen noodles
- To make the dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce, the ginger, and the oil.
- To prepare the chicken, in a large heavy skillet or pot, place the chicken in a single layer. Pour 1/3 cup of the dressing over the chicken and reserve the remaining dressing for the salad.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pot, or just enough to cover the chicken.
- Bring it to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, 7 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice it thinly. In a large serving bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining 1 Tbsp. soy sauce and 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce.
- Add the lettuce, peppers, scallions, and almonds or oranges (optional) to the bowl. Top it with the remaining dressing and toss the salad thoroughly. Sprinkle the noodles on top, and serve.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Make the dressing as directed. Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour 1/3 cup of dressing over it. Cook on low for 3 - 5 hours or on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Slice the chicken and combine the salad ingredients as directed above. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel and grate or mince the ginger, prepare and refrigerate the dressing, cook, slice, and refrigerate the chicken, slice the lettuce or bok choy, bell pepper, and scallions, toast the almonds if using, break the ramen noodles, if using. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1 tsp. of Asian sweet chili sauce to the dressing. Tip: There are several ways to toast almonds: 1) Toast them on the lightest setting in the toaster oven for 2 - 3 minutes; 2) Toast them in a skillet over medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes; 3) Bake them on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes, tossing once. No matter the method, watch them carefully to be sure they don't burn. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 460, Total Fat: 23g, 35%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 810mg, 34%; Total Carbohydrate: 29g, 10%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 36g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!