Coco-Nutty Granola (Low Sugar High Protein Granola Recipe)
It’s low in added sugar, high in protein and fiber, and we think it’s the most wonderful granola we’ve tasted yet. Note: Because we use less sugar than many granola recipes, you won’t get the clumps that you do in the more dessert-y granolas, which can have as much sugar and as many calories as a can of soda. So think of this as a nourishing indulgence that you can enjoy daily. We prefer it without dried fruit but it’s also wonderful with dried cherries or cranberries.
- 4 cup cups old fashioned oats or use 3 cups oats and 1 hearty whole grain flakes such as Nature’s Path Heritage Flakes (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios or coarsely chopped cashews or use 1/2 and 1/2
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa nibs also called raw chocolate or cacao, optional
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt or use less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or use canola oil
- 1 cup dried cherries halved, or cranberries (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (oats through cinnamon) except the dried fruit.
In a large measuring cup, combine the syrup and the oil. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until evenly coated.
Spread the granola on the baking sheet and bake it for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes, until it is golden brown. Watch carefully for the last 5 minutes to be sure to take it out before it gets too browned. Let it cool and store covered tightly for up to a month (you can freeze half).
Nutritional Information per Serving (% based upon Daily Values): Calories 292, Total Fat 11.5g, 17.5%, Saturated Fat 4.5g, 22.5%, Cholesterol 0mg, 0%, Sodium 77.45mg, 3%, Carbohydrate 43.5g, 14.5%, Dietary Fiber 5.5g, 21.5%, Sugar 19.5g, Protein 4g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!