Skip to Content

Crazy Monkey Muffins (Chocolate Banana Muffins)

Sharing is caring!

Crazy Monkey Muffins (Chocolate Banana Muffins)

Crazy Monkey Muffins (Chocolate Banana Muffins)

Jessica Braider
A little-known fact about me: I am not a fan of combining fruit and chocolate. I know most people love it, but while I will eat pretty much anything, fruit and chocolate together has just never done it for me. So it was a huge surprise when I made these muffins and loved them. I like that they offer a hit of chocolate without being too sweet and that they are super moist. I recommend adding the chopped walnuts for a protein boost and, if you like things on the sweeter side, throw in some chocolate chips as well.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Course Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine American
Servings 12 servings


  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup low fat plain yogurt or use any variety
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (use wheat/gluten-free if needed) or use spelt flour, I like the white whole wheat from King Arthur Flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a muffin tin or line with liners.
  • Using a food processor or a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar.
  • Add the banana and eggs and mix well.
  • Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix again.
  • Mix in the flour, sifted cocoa powder (or just sift it directly into the bowl), baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, blend quickly and thoroughly until just combined.
  • Fold in nuts and/or chocolate chips, if using.
  • Distribute the batter in the muffin tin (the cups will be quite full), and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack and then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.


Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the dry ingredients, chop the walnuts, or fully prepare and store the muffins in an airtight container or freeze them if desired.
Tip: Got too many overripe bananas? Peel them, place them into Ziploc bags, and throw them in the freezer for future smoothies or baked goods.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 181, Total Fat: 5g, 8%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 14%; Cholesterol: 36mg, 12%; Sodium: 154mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 32g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 17%; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 6g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword All, Baked Goods, Breakfast, Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert, Fall, Freezer-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Kid-Friendly, Kosher, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Make-Ahead, Nut-Free, Side Dish, Snack/Appetizer, Spring, Summer, Vegetarian, Winter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop