Creamy Chicken Curry with Tomatoes and Garlic
Who can resist the scent and flavor of simmering onions, garlic, ginger, and curry powder? The whole house smells like a wholesome dinner while this meal is cooking.
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced, about 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 - 3 lbs. bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt or use any variety
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat until it is shimmers. Add the onions and sauté them for about 5 minutes until they are golden.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder and sauté for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and simmer for about 5 minutes (or a little longer if you want a thicker sauce).
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the chicken if necessary and nestle the thighs in the sauce. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes per side until it is cooked on the outside.
- Add the sour cream and 1 cup of water, stir well, and return it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pot, stirring occasionally, making sure to keep it simmering, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- At this point you can remove the chicken from the bone (wear latex gloves if the chicken's too hot to handle) and return just the meat to the pot, or keep the chicken on the bone and serve it immediately, topped with the cilantro, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days before serving it.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Reduce the water to 1/2 cup and combine all ingredients except the cilantro in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Top it with the cilantro before serving. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the onion and the cilantro, peel the garlic, peel and chop the ginger, remove the skin from the chicken if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. of another Indian spice, such as cumin, turmeric, or garam masala. Tip: Cilantro, sometimes referred to as Chinese parsley, has a strong yet refreshing taste. It’s often used in Indian and Latin cuisine. When used in cooking, cilantro is often added at the end of the cooking time or as a garnish to maintain its flavor. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 306, Total Fat: 12g, 19%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18%; Cholesterol: 167mg, 55.5%; Sodium: 401mg, 17.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 9g, 3.5%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 9%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 39g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!