Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 - 6 stalks celery thinly sliced 1 total cup (halve the stalks lengthwise first if they are very wide)
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp. flour (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1 small russet potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup milk (use any kind you have)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, thyme, and bay leaf and sauté until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until it is absorbed.
- Add the broth and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and corn, return it to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer the soup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the milk, salt, and pepper, heat it through for about 1 minute, and remove the bay leaf. Serve the soup immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Whisk the flour and milk in the slow cooker until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)