Creamy Herbed Chicken with Spinach and Sundried Tomatoes
This mouth-watering, all-in-one-dish recipe is adapted from the Success Rice kitchens. It has a classic rich Italian flavor but is made healthier with whole grains and lots of veggies.
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning blend or use ¼ tsp. each of dried oregano and basil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup white wine or use ¼chicken broth plus 1 tsp. vinegar
- 8 oz. sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 6 oz. light Laughing Cow garlic and herb spreadable cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced sundried tomatoes in oil drained
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions, taking it out about 1 minute before the package says it is done.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and season it with the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it is bubbling.
- Add the chicken to the skillet in a single layer, and sauté it for about 5 minutes total, flipping it occasionally, until it is cooked on the outside, and nearly cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet, along with the wine and mushrooms, and sauté them for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir the rice, broth, and cheese into the skillet until the cheese mostly melts and begins to turn creamy.
- Stir in the chicken to coat it, and then stir in the sundried tomatoes and the spinach.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring once, until the spinach is wilted. Remove it from the heat and serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- This is best in a slow cooker that is at least 3.3L in size. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker except the chicken (rice should be uncooked). Stir all the ingredients, then lay the chicken on top. Your slow cooker will be very full, but the spinach will cook down. Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Alternatively, you may prepare the rice separately, and at serving time, remove the chicken first, then stir the rice into the slow cooker with the other ingredients. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the rice, cut and refrigerate the chicken, combine the spices, slice the mushrooms and the sundried tomatoes if necessary, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add some minced garlic to the skillet with the wine and mushrooms. Tip: Italian seasoning, a common herb blend used to add flavor to many dishes including tomato sauces, soups, vegetables, and pasta dishes, is typically comprised of basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and garlic. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 284, Total Fat: 10g, 14.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 21.5%; Cholesterol: 68mg, 22.5%; Sodium: 622mg, 26%; Total Carbohydrate: 22g, 7%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 29g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!