Creamy Indian-Spiced Spinach Dip
This creamy spinach dip is so full of flavor you won't believe how simple it is to prepare. Serve with chopped fresh vegetables, crackers, or sliced French or pita bread.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ yellow onion finely diced, about ½ cup
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 4 oz. Neufchatel cheese or low fat cream cheese
- ½ cup plain low fat yogurt or sour cream or use any variety
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven broiler and set one of the oven racks about 4 inches below the heat source.
- In an oven safe, medium-sized skillet, heat the oil over a medium high heat until shimmering, but not smoking.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and cook until the water evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Neufchatel or cream cheese, yogurt, and Parmesan cheese and stir until all the cheeses have melted and everything is well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella and put under the broiler for 3 – 4 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Serve with sliced fresh vegetables, sliced bread, crackers, or tortilla chips either warm or at room temperature.
Do Ahead and Delegate: Chop the onion, shred the cheese(s) if necessary and refrigerate, prepare the dip up until the baking step and refrigerate (if you do this, take the dip out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving to allow it to come to room temperature), or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the garam masala or add a sprinkle of cayenne. Tip: Garam masala is a blend of spices often used in Indian cuisine. While different brands may vary a bit, it’s typically a combination of coriander, cloves, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper. Videos: Watch Jessica make them on Facebook Live! Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 136kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 8gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 279mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!