Grilled Cheese with Kale, Artichokes, and Asiago Cheese
Grilled cheese for dinner is such a fun treat, and this version gets lots of veggies into your decadent meal. The flavors are sophisticated so if you have picky eaters, try adding just a little bit of the filling, and using a milder cheese like Cheddar or mozzarella when you make their sandwiches. You can use any leftover filling as a dip, burrito filling, or even as a spread for crackers. Scramble recipe tester Kathryn Howell Dalton said, “Yes, yes, and more yes! Why on earth have I never put kale in a grilled cheese before?”
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 12 - 16 oz. kale stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 14 oz. canned artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 4 - 6 oz. Asiago cheese grated about 1 1/2 cups, or use Parmesan
- 12 slices whole grain or sourdough bread (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees and put a baking sheet on the middle rack. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté it for about 30 seconds until it is fragrant, then add the kale and salt, tossing it with tongs to distribute the oil and garlic.
- Cover and steam it for about 5 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender, stirring it once.
- Add the vinegar and the artichokes and cook for 2 more minutes until the artichokes are heated through. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese until it is melted, and remove it from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate skillet such as a cast iron skillet, grill pan, or a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (these can also be made in a panini maker if you prefer). Spread about 1 tsp. butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place 3 pieces of bread in the pan, buttered side down, then sprinkle about 1 tsp. of the remaining cheese on each piece, top each slice with a scoop of the kale filling, then another tsp. of cheese, and then put another slice of bread on top, butter-side up.
- Use a foil-wrapped brick or other heavy pot or pan to press down the sandwiches, and cook them on each side for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown. (Note: If the bread begins to burn, reduce the heat under the skillet.)
- Transfer them to the oven to keep warm on the baking sheet as you repeat the process on the stove to make the last three sandwiches. Slice them in half to serve.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, stem and chop the kale, drain and chop the artichoke hearts, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, slice the bread if necessary, take the butter out of the refrigerator to soften. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the pan when sautéing the kale. Tip: To make quick work of removing the leaves from kale stems, simply slide your fingers up the stems from the bottom and the leaves will come right off. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 475, Total Fat: 21g, 31%; Saturated Fat: 11g, 52.5%; Cholesterol: 42mg, 14%; Sodium: 909mg, 38%; Total Carbohydrate: 56g, 19%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 18%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 19g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!