Grilled Chicken Breasts with Cajun Rub
Color and flavor burst from the deep red seasoning of this grilled chicken (that would also be great on pork, fish, tofu, or tempeh). You may want to make extra seasoning blend to save for future recipes or even to give as a gift. Scramble recipe tester Kim Jackson gave this eloquent review: “The aroma coming off of the grill was enticing. The combination of the sweet paprika and the smoky grill was intoxicating.”
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 3/4 tsp. garlic salt or use regular salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder make sure it’s salt-free or use ½ the amount
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or use pork tenderloin, firm fish fillets, tofu, or tempeh
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (store-bought or homemade) for serving, see link below for homemade directions (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices. Rub the mixture over the surfaces of the chicken. If time allows, wrap the chicken in plastic wrap or cover and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours to increase the flavor.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees on a gas grill). (Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in a grill pan or a cast iron skillet with 1 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil in the pan.)
- Rub the grates of your grill with a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil (use tongs to do this) before grilling the meat to keep it from sticking.
- Cook the chicken without moving it for about 5 minutes per side, until it has nice grill marks on the outside and is cooked through.
- Slice the chicken into thick slices and serve it immediately, with the barbecue sauce, if desired, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Rub the surface of the meat with the spices as directed, then place it in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the spices, rub them on the chicken and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the barbecue sauce or some hot sauce, double the garlic powder and/or cayenne pepper in the rub. Tip: Give your metabolism a boost - eating lean protein like chicken can use seven times more energy to digest than something high in carbohydrates or fats. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 191, Total Fat: 3g, 4%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 3%; Cholesterol: 88mg, 29%; Sodium: 514mg, 22%; Total Carbohydrate: 5g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 5.5%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 36g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!