Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
This is a terrific recipe for a weeknight dinner or a weekend barbecue, adapted from food writer Candy Sagon’s recipe in The Washington Post. Dark meat is great on the grill because it browns well and the meat won’t dry out.
- 5 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, with or without skin
- 1 cup honey mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), or mix equal parts Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) and honey
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or use 1 Tbsp. fresh
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Lay the chicken in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. In a large measuring cup or a bowl, combine the honey mustard, vinegar, thyme, and pepper and pour it over the chicken. Flip the chicken several times to coat it. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- If using a grill (an indoor alternative is to use the broiler), oil the grates so the chicken won’t stick. Preheat the grill to medium heat (or preheat the broiler).
- When the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, reserving the marinade. Grill it for 8 - 10 minutes on the first side, depending on desired doneness, until it is browned on the side that’s facing down (or facing up if you are using the broiler).
- Flip the chicken, brush it with the reserved marinade, and cook it for 8 - 10 more minutes until it is cooked through.
- Discard any remaining marinade (or, to serve it as a sauce, place it in a small saucepan, bring to a rolling boil, and boil for 2 minutes). Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- There's no need to marinate the chicken in advance. Combine the honey mustard, vinegar, thyme, and pepper in the slow cooker. Add the chicken and flip it several times to coat it well. Cook on low for 6 - 10 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1 tsp. of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, to the marinade, and serve the chicken with extra honey mustard dressing (boil the marinade for 2 minutes if it was used for the raw chicken or make a new batch). Tip: When defrosting raw chicken, do so in the refrigerator and not at room temperature. Make sure to put a plate under the chicken when defrosting it to catch any drippings. Once raw chicken thaws, it can safely be kept in the refrigerator for 1 - 2 days. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 170, Total Fat: 5g, 8%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 8%; Cholesterol: 115mg, 38%; Sodium: 180mg, 8%; Total Carbohydrate: 2g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 27g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!