Grilled Chicken Sausage Kabobs with Vegetables
Using pre-cooked sausage makes flavorful kabobs quick and easy, though you can also use marinated chicken or beef, or use portobello mushrooms for a vegetarian alternative. If you don’t want to use skewers, grill everything on a vegetable tray instead. You can also make this dish in the broiler, with or without the skewers.
- 1 medium zucchini cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow squash cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices, or use extra zucchini
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 12 oz. pre-cooked chicken sausage, any variety (use wheat/gluten-free if needed), cut into 1/2-inch slices, or use marinated chicken, beef, sliced portobello mushrooms or whole conventional mushrooms
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, and oil the grates to prevent the sausage from sticking (or preheat the broiler).
- In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini, and yellow squash with the oil and salt to coat it. (If you are using mushrooms instead of the sausage, add them now, too.)
- Thread the sausage (or meat or mushrooms), zucchini, and squash onto about 6 metal skewers. Thread the cherry tomatoes onto 2 separate skewers.
- Grill the skewers with the sausage, zucchini and squash for about 10 minutes, turning them a few times, until they are browned on all sides. (Alternatively, set your oven rack to 3 – 4 inches from the heat source and broil the kabobs for 10 minutes, turning them once, until they are browned on all sides.)
- For the last minute or two, add the tomatoes to the grill (or broiler) so they get hot but not charred.
- Carefully remove all the skewers from the grill and, using an oven mitt and fork, transfer the vegetables and sausage to a serving bowl. Toss them with the oregano and serve.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Use bamboo skewers. If they are too large to fit in your slow cooker, simply cut off the ends to fit. There is no need to toss the ingredients in a bowl first. Assemble the kabobs as directed, then layer them in the slow cooker, drizzling each layer with oil, salt, and oregano. Add just enough water or broth to cover the bottom of the slow cooker to a depth of 1/4" to 1/2". Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 6 hours. Optional: for a char-grilled taste, put the cooked skewers on the grill or under the broiler for 2 minutes before serving. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice the zucchini, yellow squash, and sausage and refrigerate the sausage, toss the squash with the oil and salt, thread and refrigerate the skewers. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy sausage and double the oregano. Tip: When cooking with metal skewers, leave a tiny bit of space between the pieces of food. This will allow the metal to heat and speed up cooking time. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 200, Total Fat: 12g, 18%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 45mg, 15%; Sodium: 718mg, 30%; Total Carbohydrate: 9g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 16g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!