Skip to Content

Homemade Chai

Sharing is caring!

Homemade Chai

Homemade Chai

Jessica Braider
This homemade chai is the perfect balance of spicy, robust, and sweet.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Course Drinks
Cuisine Indian
Servings 8 servings


  • 6 inches fresh ginger grated or chopped, grated for spicier chai, roughly chop for less spicy. I like to use my mini-prep food processor to quickly grate the ginger.
  • 4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
  • 1 Tbsp. whole cloves
  • 1 tsp. whole cardamom
  • 4 3-inch cinnamon sticks
  • 12 bags black tea ideally Darjeeling, Irish Breakfast, or English Breakfast. Note: Earl Gray will give it a distinct flavor
  • ½ cup brown sugar optional
  • 2 cups milk (any variety) for serving


  • In a large pot, combine the ginger, peppercorns, clove, cardamom, and cinnamon. Add 12 cups water. Bring the pot to a boil and then turn the heat to medium and let it cook, bubbling gently, for 25 minutes with the lid off.
  • Turn off the heat, add the tea bags, and let it steep for 5 minutes.
  • Scoop out the tea bags and add the sugar (if using). Stir well so that the sugar dissolves.
  • Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the tea into a large bowl or pitcher. Serve immediately by filling a mug 2/3 of the way and then topping off with your favorite type of milk, or bring to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator for up to a week.


Nutritional Information per serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 56, Total Fat 2g, 3%, Saturated Fat 1g, 6%, Cholesterol 6mg, 2%, Sodium 31mg, 1%, Total Carbohydrate 8g, 3% Dietary Fiber 2g, 7% Sugar 3g, Protein 2g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword Beverage, Breakfast/Brunch, Dairy-Free, Fall, Gluten-Free, Holidays/Special Events, Kid-Friendly, Kosher, Make-Ahead, Nut-Free, Spring, Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop