Lemon Herbed Chicken Tenderloins
This delicate dish can also be made using chicken breasts, pork chops, or fish fillets. If you use boneless chicken breasts, pound them to an even thickness and cook them slightly longer, until they are no longer pink on the inside, or slice them lengthwise into 3 strips.
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb. chicken tenderloins, or use thinly sliced chicken breast, thin pork chops, or fish fillets
- 1 lemon juice only, 2 - 3 Tbsp.
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp. dried or fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or use 1 1/2 tsp. fresh
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley or use 2 tsp. fresh minced parsley or oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil or use 1 1/2 tsp. fresh minced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Place the tenderloins in a flat dish with sides. In a small bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except the oil and pour the mixture over the tenderloins. Cover the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes and up to 12 hours, covered and refrigerated.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Remove the tenderloins from any remaining marinade, and add them to the skillet. Sauté them for 3 - 5 minutes per side until they are just cooked through.
- Remove them from the heat and serve immediately, refrigerate them for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- There's no need to marinate the chicken in advance. Omit the oil. In the slow cooker, combine all the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken and stir to coat well. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Pound or slice the chicken if you are using breasts instead of tenderloins and refrigerate, juice the lemon, combine the spices, make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 tsp. lemon zest and 1/4 tsp. black pepper or 1/2 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning to the marinade. Tip: When poultry and pork products are marked “Hormone Free” at the supermarket, keep in mind that the USDA prohibits the use of hormones in all poultry and pork, so the label is stating the obvious and is not an additional benefit. Because however, the USDA allows the use of hormones in beef products, look there for the label “No Hormones Administered.” Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 300, Total Fat: 13g, 20%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 12%; Cholesterol: 110mg, 36%; Sodium: 470mg, 20%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 2%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 41g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!