Light-as-a-Feather Apple Fritters
Many thanks to Robyn Webb who shared the original recipe, which I have adapted. It comes from her cookbook “You CAN Eat That! Awesome Food for Kids with Diabetes.” Unfortunately, the book is no longer in print. We love these apple fritters as a snack or dessert (or even for a special holiday breakfast!).
- 4 apples any color, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour use wheat/gluten-free, if needed
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp butter or use vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and milk. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then fold in the apples.
- With an electric mixer in a medium-size mixing bowl beat the egg whites on high until they form stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the fritter mixture.
- Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray (or use 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or butter) and heat over medium-high until a drop of fritter batter sizzles immediately. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter 2 inches apart and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the fritters to a warm platter and continue with the remaining batter. Serve warm with pure maple syrup, if desired, or powdered sugar.
Reheating Information: Leftovers can be reheated in a toaster oven using a light to medium toast setting or in a skillet, over a medium-high heat, for 1 minute per side, or until heated through. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble’s family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 211kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 4gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 68mgPotassium: 199mgFiber: 3gSugar: 26gVitamin A: 177IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 74mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!