Grilled Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or use boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 – 1 lime juice only, 2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cup avocados diced or mashed, or use 3/4guacamole
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/4 red onion finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in a flat dish with sides just large enough to hold them in a single layer. In a small dish, combine the lime juice, oil, and kosher salt, pour it over the chicken, and flip the chicken breasts several times to coat them well. (The chicken can marinate in the refrigerator, covered and flipped occasionally, for up to 24 hours.) Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium serving bowl, gently combine the avocados, tomatoes, onions and salt. Add the cilantro and/or 1 tsp. of lime juice for additional flavor (optional).
- Grill the chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes per side, until the grilled chicken starts to brown on the outside and is no longer pink in the middle of the thickest part of the breast. Remove them from the heat and serve whole or sliced into strips, topped with the avocado salsa.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker in a single layer, if possible. Drizzle with the lime juice, oil and salt, turning the chicken breasts over to coat them and prevent them from sticking.
- Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours, or on high for 3 – 4 hours. The chicken may be turned over using tongs at the halfway point of the cooking time, if desired. Serve with the prepared salsa. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Calories 250, Total Fat: 12g, 18%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 710mg, 30%; Total Carbohydrate: 7g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 28g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!