Maple Butternut Squash
If you love the subtle sweetness of butternut squash, this version which takes that up just a notch is sure to please! It's also a great way to introduce these lovely, super nutritious vegetable to skeptical kiddos.
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash peeled, seeded, and chopped (some markets sell it already peeled and chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/4 tsp. salt optional
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup to taste
- Combine the squash with ¼ cup of water in a microwave-safe dish and cook it on high power in the microwave for 5 - 10 minutes until it is very tender, or steam it on the stovetop until it is very tender, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Mash the cooked squash with the butter or margarine, salt (optional), and maple syrup.
- For a fluffier texture, whip the cooked squash in a mixer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 132, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18.5%; Cholesterol: 15mg, 5%; Sodium: 8mg, 0.1%; Total Carbohydrate: 21g, 7%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 7%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 2g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!