Grilled Fennel and Red Onion Salad
If you are new to fennel, this salad is a great starting point as it will highlight the delicious, sweet flavor of this lovely vegetable.
- 1 red onion cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 fennel bulbs stalks removed and bulb but into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Tbsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese or to taste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- Preheat your grill or grill pan and set it to a medium heat. While the grill or grill pan is heating, brush both sides of the onion and fennel with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the slices on the grill and let them cook for 3 - 5 minutes on each side, or until they are just starting to soften.
- Remove the slices to a platter and top them with the crumbled feta, thyme, a drizzle of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice and refrigerate the onions and fennel. Crumble the feta, if necessary. Or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish (saving the sprinkle of oil and lemon juice until serving time). Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 92, Total Fat: 5g, 7%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 6%; Cholesterol: 3mg, 1%; Sodium: 243mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 13g, 4%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 18%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 2g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!