Miraculous Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Besides the creamy texture and rich taste, the best thing about this Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Scramble member Katie Ellis is that you don’t have to cook the macaroni in advance — it cooks perfectly in the oven.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni uncooked (don’t use whole grain pasta for this recipe)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 oz. pre-cooked andouille sausage or other sausage diced (1 cup) (optional)
- 3 3/4 cups low fat milk (or use any variety)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the butter in a 2-quart casserole dish and melt it in the oven.
- Remove it from the oven, add the macaroni to the dish, and stir to coat the noodles.
- Stir in the salt, mustard, nutmeg, cheese and sausage (optional).
- Pour the milk over everything and stir gently.
- Bake it for one hour, uncovered (be sure NOT to stir it while it’s cooking). Let it cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving it.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Melt the butter and add it to the slow cooker. Add the macaroni and stir to coat the noodles. Stir in the salt, mustard, nutmeg, cheese and sausage (optional). Pour the milk over everything and stir gently.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, until noodles are soft.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the seasonings, dice and refrigerate the sausage if using. Tip: If you want to send more delicate fruits like bananas and pears in your kid’s brown bag lunches, try wrapping a cloth or paper towel around them before placing them in the bag. This will provide a little bit of cushioning for the fruit and can be used as a napkin at lunchtime. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the dry mustard and be sure to use the spicy sausage. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 340kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 18gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7.5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 421mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!