Nicaraguan Flank Steak with Garlic Citrus Marinade
This steak is elevated by its simple marinade. You won't believe how flavorful and satisfying it is.
- 2 lbs. flank steak or skirt steak (or use sliced extra-firm tofu if using tofu, drain it, wrap it in a clean dishtowel to remove excess moisture, and then slice
- 1 cup orange juice only (1/2juice)
- 1/2 lime juice only (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 1/2 jalapeno minced (omit seeds if you don’t want it to be as spicy)
- 1 Tbsp. salt-free chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Put the steak in a large flat dish with sides and poke some holes in the meat with the tines of a fork.
- In a measuring cup or bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients, pour them over the meat, and flip it several times to coat it.
- Marinate it, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days, flipping it occasionally.
- When you are ready to cook it, preheat the grill (or broiler) to medium-high heat. Grill the meat for 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or 6 for medium.
- Meanwhile, transfer the marinade to a small pot on the stove over medium heat, bring it to a boil and boil it for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 7 – 10 minutes if time allows, then slice it thinly across the grain and serve it immediately with the sauce, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There's no need to marinate the steak in advance. Whisk together all ingredients except the steak in the slow cooker. Poke some holes in the meat with the tines of a fork, place it in the slow cooker, and flip it several times to coat it with the marinade.
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Slice as above. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Juice the orange and lime, peel the garlic, mince the jalapeño, make the marinade and marinate the steak in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate the steak. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 – 1 tsp. oregano to the marinade, use the seeds from the jalapeño. Tip: Give it a rest! If time allows, don’t skip the step where you let the meat rest after coming off the grill (or from under the broiler). As the meat rests, its natural juices are reabsorbed, which will result in juicier, more tender meat. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 252, Total Fat: 12g, 18.5%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 21.5%; Cholesterol: 64mg, 21%; Sodium: 460mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 2g, 0.5%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0.5%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 32g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!