Skip to Content

Punjabi-Style Potatoes

Sharing is caring!

Punjabi-Style Potatoes

Punjabi-Style Potatoes

Jessica Braider
If you, like me, love the flavors of Indian food, then these potatoes will become your new favorite side dish! These potatoes make a wonderful side to a curry or dal, but also work well with classic roast chicken or even burgers!
No ratings yet
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Course Side Dish
Cuisine Indian
Servings 6 servings


  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil or use vegetable oil
  • 1 yellow onion finely diced
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and minced, or use 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic minced, about 1 1/2 tsp.
  • 1 jalapeño pepper halved lengthwise, seeded (a grapefruit spoon works well), and finely diced
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. garam masala
  • 1/2 tomato chopped
  • 1 1/2 lbs. red potatoes chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. salt


  • Heat a lidded large heavy skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
  • When it is hot, add the onions, and when they start to brown after about 5 minutes, add the ginger, garlic, jalapeño, curry powder, and garam masala.
  • Cook it for 2 more minutes, then stir in the tomatoes.
  • Add the potatoes and salt and stir to coat them. Add 1 cup of warm water, bring it to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer it for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Uncover and simmer it for 10 more minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are very tender. Serve immediately.


Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values):Calories 122, Total Fat: 3g, 4%; Saturated Fat: 0g, 0%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 107mg, 4.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 23g, 7.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 3g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword Company/Entertaining, Dairy-Free, Fall, Kid-Friendly, Kosher, Low Fat, Low Sodium, No Added Sugar, Nut-Free, Side Dish, Spring, Summer, Vegan, Vegetarian
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop