Skip to Content

Sautéed Cabbage with Sweet Onions and Curry

Sharing is caring!

Sauteed Cabbage with Sweet Onions and Curry

Sautéed Cabbage with Sweet Onions and Curry

Jessica Braider
While many people think cabbage is only used for sauerkraut and stuffed cabbage, this simple preparation illustrates how the possibilities really are endless with this inexpensive, healthy, and delicious vegetable!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Course Side Dish
Cuisine American
Servings 6 servings


  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1/2 head purple cabbage halved and thinly sliced 8 – 10 cups
  • 1 sweet yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
  • 1 tsp. curry powder optional
  • 1 Tbsp. mango chutney or balsamic vinegar or use whatever chutney you like


  • Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, add the butter or margarine, and when it's melted, add the cabbage and onions, and stir to coat them.
  • Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and onions are tender.
  • Stir in the salt, curry powder (optional), and chutney or vinegar and cook it for 5 more minutes.


Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 52, Total Fat: 2g, 3%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 6%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 2%; Sodium: 118mg, 5%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 2g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword 30 Minutes (or less) Meals, Dairy-Free, Fall, Gluten-Free, Kid-Friendly, Kosher, Low Fat, Low Sodium, No Added Sugar, Nut-Free, Side Dish, Spring, Summer, Super Scramble Express (20 minutes or less total), Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop