Pureed Carrots with Orange and Mint
This is what my mom would call a "nursery food"- a soothing and delicious dish you want to make over and over again.
- 5 - 6 carrots about 1 lb., chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 orange use 1/2 tsp. zest and 2 Tbsp. juice
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 tsp. fresh mint finely chopped
- Put the carrots in a medium saucepan, and cover them with water (just enough to cover the carrots). Stir in the salt. Bring to a boil and simmer it, covered for 25 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the carrots.
- Transfer the carrots to a food processor or blender, add about 1/2 the reserved water and all the orange juice, and puree until smooth (if the carrots are too thick, add the remaining water).
- Meanwhile, put the saucepan back over low heat and melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the carrots, mint, and orange zest to the pot and stir to combine. Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add cumin, ginger, black pepper, or cayenne. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 50, Total Fat: 2g, 3%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 6.5%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 1.5%; Sodium: 246mg, 10.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 2.5%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8.5%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 1g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!