San Francisco Joes
Scramble recipe tester Alice Clark sent us her version of Sloppy Joes. She calls them San Francisco Joes because the white wine, garlic, and sourdough bread give it a Northern California twist.
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or meatless crumbles
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (for a vegetarian and gluten-free option use 6 drops hot sauce and 1/4 tsp. sugar per each Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 - 12 slices sourdough bread (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- In a microwave-safe dish, thaw the spinach and drain it thoroughly, pressing out any excess liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown the meat, onions and mushrooms until the meat is just cooked through, 5 - 7 minutes.
- Drain and discard the excess liquid (I find that a turkey baster works well for this).
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and spinach, distributing the spinach evenly.
- Stir in the eggs, cheese and wine until the egg is fully cooked, and season it with the salt and pepper.
- Serve it over warm bread, or make sandwiches.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Mix all ingredients in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the garlic powder, top the bread with pesto sauce, and serve it with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Tip: If you don't cook with wine, you can use 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar and 2 - 3 Tbsp. of chicken or vegetable broth instead. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 320, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 105mg, 35%; Sodium: 660mg, 28%; Total Carbohydrate: 32g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 28g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!