Sicilian Pasta with Eggplant and Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- ½ white onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. rigatoni noodles (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1 eggplant diced
- ½ tsp. salt or more to taste
- 4 tomatoes diced (or use 28 oz. canned whole or diced tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano or use 1 tsp. dried
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. fresh basil or use 1 tsp. dried
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste tip about freezing leftovers
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. capers to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium heat.
- Fry the onions in the oil until they are fragrant and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni according to the package directions.
- Add the eggplant to the skillet and drizzle it with the remaining oil and the salt, then add the tomatoes and bring it to a simmer (there will be enough liquid as the tomatoes begin to break down from the heat.)
- Cover the pan and steam the vegetables for about 5 minutes until the eggplant begins to darken.
- Remove the lid and add the herbs and tomato paste.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 15 – 20 minutes until the eggplant is very tender.
- Stir in the capers.
- Combine the sauce and pasta and serve it immediately or refrigerate the sauce for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Combine all ingredients except the noodles and cheese in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours, or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Serve over cooked noodles, topped with the cheese. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)