Smoky Spice-Rubbed Grilled Steak
I’m completely enamored of (okay, obsessed with) smoked paprika because it gives food such a rich smoky flavor, as is beautifully showcased in this simple steak preparation.
- 40 oz. thick boneless steaks about 4 steaks
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (if your garlic powder has salt, reduce amount of salt the rub to ¼ tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (or use the broiler, setting a rack about 4 inches away from the heat source).
- Lay the steaks on a flat dish. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and sprinkle and rub the spice mixture over both sides of the steaks.
- When the grill (or broiler) is hot, cook the steaks, with the lid closed, for 5 - 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer to your desired doneness (if using the broiler, place them on a baking sheet).
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board, preferably one with a rim to catch the juices, let them rest for 5 minutes or so if time allows.
- Slice the steaks crosswise (against the grain) into strips that are about 1/2-inch thick. Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make the spice rub, rub it on the steaks and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the steak. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper to the spice rub for a spicier flavor. Add 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder or finely ground coffee to the rub for a richer flavor. Tip: Slicing steak stretches the meat into more servings. But if you prefer, cut the steaks in half for reasonably sized portions. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 251, Total Fat: 18g, 27%; Saturated Fat: 8g, 37.5%; Cholesterol: 112mg, 37%; Sodium: 164mg, 7%; Total Carbohydrate: 0g, 0%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 33g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!