Warm Eggplant Pita Sandwiches
We turned an eggplant recipe from Scramble fan Annette Sherman it into a delicious dinner sandwich by adding toppings and stuffing it all in a pita pocket. Scramble member Mike Fisher raved that this recipe is so good it’s “like butter.”
- 2 cup eggs beaten (or use 1 liquid egg whites or egg substitute)
- 1 cup bread crumbs mix in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1 eggplant large, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 cup feta crumbled, or use shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup hummus for serving
- 4 pita bread whole wheat or white
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Put the bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl, mixing in the Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Using a fork, dip each eggplant slice in the egg, let the excess drip off, and dip both sides in the bread crumbs to coat it. Place the breaded eggplant slices on the baking sheet and spray the tops with the cooking spray.
- Bake the eggplant slices for 30 minutes, flipping them once, until they are soft and lightly browned.
- While the eggplant is cooking, put the sandwich fixings (cheese, tomatoes, hummus) in bowls on the table. Heat the pita in the microwave oven before serving, or wrap the pita in foil and warm it in the oven with the eggplant for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant slices to a plate, and assemble the sandwiches at the table.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Beat (and refrigerate) the eggs, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese (optional), slice the eggplant, chop the tomato. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use garlic or spicy hummus. Tip: If you’d like to coat the eggplant with gluten-free crumbs, puree rice crackers in your blender and substitute them for traditional bread crumbs. These can be used in almost any dish that requires bread crumbs, like some crab cake and meatloaf recipes. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 528kcalCarbohydrates: 69gProtein: 23gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1193mgPotassium: 649mgFiber: 10gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 578IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 332mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!