Watermelon Caprese Salad with Arugula
Scramble recipe tester Jen Grosman says, “It tastes like summer.” Add some grilled shrimp or chicken for a heartier meal.
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 1 English cucumber chopped (2 cups)
- 1 large tomato chopped (2 cups)
- 2 oz. arugula (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint and/or basil chopped
- 8 oz. marinated mozzarella balls halved
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (you can use the oil from the marinated mozzarella)
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- In a large serving bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Season with freshly ground pepper and a little coarse salt. Toss, and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the watermelon, cucumber and tomato, halve the mozzarella balls and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the salad. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 – 1 chopped jalapeno or 1 – 2 Tbsp. marinated hot peppers such as giardiniera, or 1/2 cup diced sweet onion. Tip: When you purchase marinated mozzarella, the marinade usually consists of olive oil combined with salt, pepper and other seasonings like garlic, basil and oregano. Don’t waste the marinade! It’s delicious on cheese, drizzled on roasted vegetables, or as a dip for bread as we’ve suggested above. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 251, Total Fat: 24g, 36%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 20mg, 6.5%; Sodium: 95mg, 4%; Total Carbohydrate: 12g, 4%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 5.5%; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 7g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!