Zucchini, White Bean, and Tomato Gratin
- 8 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or use 1 1/2 tsp. fresh
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil or use 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 cups zucchini quartered lengthwise and chopped 6 – 7 total
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid, or use 4 fresh diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. canned cannellini beans (also called white kidney beans) (or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned panko or bread crumbs (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium to medium-high heat and sauté the onions, garlic, thyme, and basil for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the zucchini and sauté it with the onions for about 10 minutes until both are tender and the onions are starting to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and salt to the skillet, bring the mixture to a low boil and simmer it, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine the cheese, panko or bread crumbs, and 2 tsp. oil.
- Smooth the zucchini mixture into the baking dish. (At this point you can refrigerate the casserole and the bread crumb mixture separately for up to 24 hours, if desired.)
- When ready to cook, top the casserole evenly with the bread crumb mixture. Transfer it to the oven and bake it for 10 – 15 minutes until the topping is browned. If necessary, put the casserole under the broiler for a minute to finish browning the topping. Serve it immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, prepare the topping as directed. There is not need to saute the vegetables in advance. Simply combine everything except the topping in the slow cooker, then spread the topping as directed. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)