Caramelized Cabbage and Apples
Sweet and sour come together in this lovely fall and winter dish!
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage quartered, cored, and thinly sliced about 6 cups
- 1/4 tsp. salt or more taste
- 1 green apple peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries (preferably naturally sweetened)
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and when it is hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook them for 2 – 3 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the cabbage and salt, and cook it for 2 – 3 more minutes. Add the apples and 1 Tbsp. of the vinegar, stir and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover it and cook it for 15 more minutes until the cabbage is tender, stirring it occasionally, but not too often so it browns a bit on the bottom.
- Stir in the cranberries and second Tbsp. of vinegar and cook it for 5 more minutes until the cabbage is very soft.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 112, Total Fat: 3g, 4%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 2%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 148mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 20g, 6.5%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 29.5%; Sugar: 12g; Protein: 6g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!