Skip to Content

French Beet Salad

Sharing is caring!

French Beet Salad

French Beet Salad

Jessica Braider
This spin on a classic French salad is what turned me into a lover of beets when I was a kid (and a picky eater!). Earthy, sweet, and tangy it is the perfect balance of flavors.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Course Salad, Side Dish
Cuisine French
Servings 4 servings


  • 3 pre-cooked beets we love the vacuum-packed ones from Trader Joe's, or cook your own, see directions below
  • 2 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
  • 2 tsp. white wine vinegar


  • If using pre-cooked beets, dice them and place them in a medium serving bowl.
  • If cooking the beets: scrub them, cut off the greens, leaving about 1 inch of stems, and steam them in a saucepan in about 2 inches of gently boiling water, covered, for 45 minutes, until they are fork tender. Drain the beets, rinse them in cold water, and peel the skins, using your fingers or a vegetable peeler, and then dice them.
  • Combine the mustard and vinegar and pour it over the beets, tossing thoroughly. Refrigerate the salad for at least 20 minutes.


Note: you can cook and peel the beets or make the whole salad up to 2 days in advance.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 36, Total Fat: 0g, 0%; Saturated Fat: 0g, 0%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 83mg, 3.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 2.5%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 6%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 1g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword 30 Minutes (or less) Meals, Dairy-Free, Fall, Gluten-Free, Kosher, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Make-Ahead, No Added Sugar, No-Cook, Nut-Free, Picnic, Potluck/Buffet, Salads, Side Dish, Summer, Super Scramble Express (20 minutes or less total), Vegan, Vegetarian
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop