French Beet Salad
This spin on a classic French salad is what turned me into a lover of beets when I was a kid (and a picky eater!). Earthy, sweet, and tangy it is the perfect balance of flavors.
- 3 pre-cooked beets we love the vacuum-packed ones from Trader Joe's, or cook your own, see directions below
- 2 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- If using pre-cooked beets, dice them and place them in a medium serving bowl.
- If cooking the beets: scrub them, cut off the greens, leaving about 1 inch of stems, and steam them in a saucepan in about 2 inches of gently boiling water, covered, for 45 minutes, until they are fork tender. Drain the beets, rinse them in cold water, and peel the skins, using your fingers or a vegetable peeler, and then dice them.
- Combine the mustard and vinegar and pour it over the beets, tossing thoroughly. Refrigerate the salad for at least 20 minutes.
Note: you can cook and peel the beets or make the whole salad up to 2 days in advance. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 36, Total Fat: 0g, 0%; Saturated Fat: 0g, 0%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 83mg, 3.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 2.5%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 6%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 1g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!