Lemon Basil Summer Pasta Salad
This light pasta salad, suggested by Scramble fan Koren Bowie, tastes like summer in Italy - the key is to use fresh mozzarella and the freshest and most flavorful tomatoes you can find.
- 16 oz. farfalle (bowtie) pasta (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 6 plum tomatoes (also called Roma tomatoes), seeded and diced, or use 4 large tomatoes
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1 lemon juice only, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 clove garlic mashed 1 tsp. total
- 3/4 - 1 tsp. salt to taste
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese diced about 1 1/2 cups
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions until it is al dente. Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water to cool them.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add the cooled pasta, toss, and chill it for up to 24 hours, or serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, seed and dice the tomatoes, juice the lemon, peel the garlic, dice the cheese and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add extra lemon juice and a little lemon zest for a tangier flavor. Add freshly ground black pepper and/or some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick. Tip: Before juicing a lemon, lime, or orange, remove the zest. You can refrigerate it for 3 days or freeze it for up to a month. You can then use the zest as you need it to add flavor to dressings, marinades, salads, and stir-fries. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 336, Total Fat: 13g, 19%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 17%; Cholesterol: 15mg, 5%; Sodium: 319mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 46g, 15%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 11.5%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!