Steamed Broccoli with Cheddar Cheese Sauce
If you've got broccoli skeptics in your house, this is the recipe that changed my mind when I was a kid and also my son's when he was younger.
- 2 heads broccoli cut into spears, or use frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low fat milk (or use any variety)
- Steam the broccoli in 1-inch of simmering water for 8 - 10 minutes, to desired tenderness. About 2 minutes before the broccoli is done, combine the cheese and milk in a small microwave-safe bowl. Loosely cover the bowl and cook it on high power for 1 minute.
- Stir the cheese sauce, and if it’s not smooth yet, cook it for 20 – 30 more seconds, until it is smooth.
- Drain the broccoli and drizzle it with the cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values):Calories 148, Total Fat: 7g, 10.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 20.5%; Cholesterol: 20mg, 6.5%; Sodium: 190mg, 8%; Total Carbohydrate: 14g, 4.5%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 21%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 11g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!