Sweet Whole Wheat Cornbread
This sweet cornbread, made with whole wheat flour, is a quick and easy side dish for Thanksgiving, but you can serve it year-round instead of rolls. And for a fun spin, see below for directions on how to make this Apple Cheddar Cornbread.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup low fat milk (or use any variety)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking pan thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined with no lumps (don’t overmix), and transfer it to the baking dish.
- Bake it for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Alternatively, fill a muffin tin with the batter and bake for 20 minutes.
Apple Cheddar Cornbread
- To make Apple Cheddar Cornbread, stir 1 peeled, cored, and diced apple and 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese into the batter before baking.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 227, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 4%; Cholesterol: 42mg, 14%; Sodium: 220mg, 9.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 36g, 12%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 6g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
After School Snack Ideas
Thursday 9th of September 2021
[…] Muffins or breads, such as banana, spinach, pumpkin, corn, or zucchini (you can make a batch and freeze […]
Cooking for the Holidays
Tuesday 23rd of March 2021
[…] dozen corn muffins (some of which get frozen for later). You could use this traditional recipe or go for our feta jalapaño corn muffins for a fun […]
Recipes to Help You Use Up Thanksgiving Leftovers
Tuesday 5th of January 2021
[…] Sweet Whole Wheat Cornbread […]
Thanksgiving Dinner Survival Guide: 10 Steps to a Calmer Feast
Wednesday 18th of November 2020
[…] Many of the dishes can be made ahead of time and then warmed before the meal. Examples include: cornbread and/or biscuits, cranberry sauce, pies, vegetable sides, stuffing, and […]
Overwhelming Times, the Healing Power of Food, and Cooking as an Act of Solidarity
Thursday 4th of June 2020
[…] Veggie Chili with Sweet Whole Wheat Cornbread (preferable as muffins for easy […]