Tortellini with Shrimp and Broccoli Pesto
This is a fabulous one-pot dish that has everything you need for a nutritious weeknight meal, especially flavor! Anne Berube, a self-described “Scramble devotee,” learned this recipe from a former roommate and was delighted to share it with other Scramble fans. The shrimp can be left out for a vegetarian version, or replaced with chickpeas or cashews for protein.
- 12 - 16 oz. mushroom or cheese tortellini (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen, about 1 lb.
- 1 lb. medium peeled and deveined shrimp, or use 15 oz. canned chickpeas or 1 cup cashews (optional)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 6 oz. pesto sauce (store-bought or homemade) see Tip below for homemade directions
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- In a large pot, cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Three minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the water with the tortellini.
- Then, if desired, add the shrimp if it is uncooked (if it is already cooked, add the shrimp 1 minute later. If you are using the chickpeas or nuts, add them directly to the bowl with the tomatoes).
- Return the water to a boil and cook it for 2 - 3 more minutes, then drain the tortellini, broccoli, and shrimp.
- While the tortellini is cooking, put the tomatoes in a large serving bowl, preferably a metal one to retain the heat.
- Add the tortellini, broccoli, and shrimp, and toss everything with the pesto sauce. Season it with salt and pepper before serving. Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the tortellini and store with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking, cut the broccoli if necessary, halve the tomatoes, make and refrigerate the pesto if using homemade, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ½ tsp. minced garlic and ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes to the serving bowl with the tomatoes. Tip: To make fresh pesto, in a blender or food processor, combine 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves, 4 cloves chopped or minced garlic (2 tsp.), 1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Toss extra pesto with noodles or vegetables, use it as a dip with crackers, or freeze it for another time. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 230, Total Fat: 5g, 8%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 110mg, 37%; Sodium: 400mg, 17%; Total Carbohydrate: 26g, 9%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 19g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!