Cacao nibs are made from chocolate or cacao beans and they have no added sugar. They are very chocolaty, but they are a little bitter if you eat them straight, so I wouldn’t recommend that. They can take the place of chocolate or chocolate chips in a lot of recipes, as long as you find other natural ways to sweeten them, like with fresh or dried fruit.
You can find cacao nibs online or in natural or healthy food stores like Whole Foods and other local stores and chains that carry plenty of whole, natural and organic foods.
Here are a few ways how to use cacao nibs in your meals, snacks and desserts:
- Yogurt (My favorite breakfast is 1 cup frozen cherries, microwaved, 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. cacao nibs, and 2 Tbsp. chopped walnut)
- Granola (Try my Cocoa-Nutty Granola, which does have some added sugar but not as much as most granola recipes)
- Fudgy Figgy Balls
- Sprinkled on Chocolate Banana “ice cream”
- Sprinkled on sliced banana, cinnamon, and almond or butter
- Sprinkled on almond or peanut butter right on a spoon
- Mixed in Overnight Oatmeal with Cacao Nibs
- Mixed in muffins instead of chocolate chips
- Sprinkled on pancakes after flipping them
Watch the video and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more healthy cooking ideas for busy people who want to eat well.
People have found lots of other creative and delicious uses for cacao nibs—I know some even through them in salads! What is your favorite way to enjoy cacao nibs? Please share an idea, recipe or link in the comments below.