One of my favorite things about Halloween is how it allows for silliness and creativity when it comes to food. I love the challenge of finding ways to bring healthy, but creepy options to the table – especially when the dishes are met with squeals and shrieks of delight.
Black beans, fresh tomatoes, and vegetables (spiders optional) make this a healthy yet deliciously fun dip for a Halloween party or as a meal before heading out to Trick or Treat.
The best part, though, is how simple to prepare this Halloween snack truly is! Just follow the directions for the black bean dip below and then use some blanched green beans as legs coming out of the bowl. You can add eyes as seen in the picture above or, if your bowl doesn’t have a little handle like the one we used, you can cut out two little circles of red or yellow bell pepper, place them in the bowl, and then top them with individual black beans to create beady red or yellow eyes that are staring back at you!
Serve the dip with cheese cut like pumpkins, our homemade tortilla chips, and your favorite veggies — fresh sweet peppers, blanched green beans, jicama, celery sticks, and/or carrots all work well with this healthy Halloween recipe.
Who knows, this might become your favorite Halloween recipe.
Black Bean Dip
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 lime juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or use 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tomato diced, for serving (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped, for serving (optional)
- 1/4 yellow onion chopped, for serving (optional)
- 4 cups tortilla chips (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)(store bought or homemade), for serving (optional)
- 8 oz. green beans, fresh or frozen blanched, for serving (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper sliced, for serving (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, puree together all the ingredients except the optional toppings.
- If too thick, add 1/8 – 1/4 cup water.
- Serve topped with the tomatoes, cilantro, and/or onions; and with the tortilla chips, green beans, and/or bell pepper for dipping, if desired.