As our kids get older we sometimes let the focus on healthy lunches slip. Sometimes this is because our kids start to push back more, sometimes it is because we leave it to them to figure out, sometimes it is because we just lose the momentum. Here are some of our favorite healthy lunch ideas for teens (or kids of any age). Pair any of these with a piece of fruit, yogurt and/or a cheese stick, and water in a reusable bottle and they’ll be good to go!
Healthy Lunch Ideas for Teens
1. Sliced turkey or ham, red bell pepper strips, and Cheddar cheese wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, with mayonnaise, spicy mustard or salsa.
2. Tuna, chicken or egg salad with whole grain crackers or pita chips or on a bagel with lettuce.
3. Low fat yogurt or cottage cheese with fresh fruit and granola or other cereal (keep them separate and let your student combine them at lunch).
4. Whole grain bagel or rice cakes with natural peanut butter for extra protein.
5. Leftovers like pasta salad, tortellini, pizza, cooked chicken, steak or tofu.
6. Diced turkey or chicken sausage (look for nitrite-free brands) with ketchup or mustard for dipping.
7. Tossed salad with crunchy lettuce, diced cucumbers, grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds, and your student’s favorite salad dressing on the side.
8. Cooked oatmeal in a thermos with brown sugar, walnuts and berries on the side.
9. Sandwiches or wraps (whole grain) filled with hummus and cucumbers or cream cheese and veggies.
10. Cheddar or Muenster cheese and sliced tomato sandwich (put the tomato between the slices of cheese so the bread doesn’t get soggy) with a little mayonnaise or mustard.
11. Black beans and rice or other rice salad.
12. Fresh mozzarella, basil or pesto and tomato on a soft baguette.
13. Healthy soup or chili in a thermos.
14. Bean and cheese burritos (warm black beans & cheese on tortilla in microwave & wrap in foil).
15. Whole grain bagel with cream cheese and sliced cucumbers.
16. Caesar salad (pack dressing separately).
Watch the Video
Easy and Healthy School Lunches to Pack in Less than 10 Minutes
Like this article? Try our two-week free trial to see just how simple feeding your family can be!
Please share your ideas by leaving a comment below.